About Caroline Erb

I started out as a Writing Fellow for Professor Joe McElhaney’s film courses at Hunter College in fall 2009, then ended up expanding the relationship to serve as the Writing Fellow for the Film & Media department at large by Spring 2010.

In case you are wondering what a Writing Fellow does, the simplest answer is support student and faculty usage of writing as a tool for learning. This takes shape through one on one tutoring, in class workshops, and the creation of handouts and worksheets. But don’t be deceived by the word writing. A lot of my work has been with production courses. This fellowship emphasizes the usage of writing as a tool for learning, regardless of what field you are in. Writing can be used for anything from creating questions for a documentary to writing a treatment.

Prior to serving as a Writing Fellow, I taught Sociology for two years at Hunter College and at Queensborough Community College.

Besides working for Film and Media, I am an ABD doctoral candidate in Sociology at the CUNY Graduate Center. My dissertation is a study of Barack Obama’s construction into a cultural icon during the 2008 presidential election. My specializations tend to lead me back to Cultural Sociology, and include Sociology of Media and Mass Communication, New Media, Consumer Culture, Gender, Emotions, Food, and the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning.

Powered by WordPress. Designed by WooThemes